Saturday, June 03, 2006

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

Now I can say that I've read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. Dillard's book reminded me of Lewis Thomas's books The Lives of a Cell and The Medusa and the Snail. I also thought of the book Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Paul Brand and Philip Yancey as I was reading. Maybe it was the subject matter, or perhaps it was the style. I read Thomas's books when I was 17 or so, and Brand's book when I was 29, so I can't claim to remember any of them very well and I've no plans to re-read them.

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is chock-full of adjectives, adverbs, similes, and metaphors. I felt like I was inside Dillard's head and watching her thoughts run by as I read the book. I'm not sorry I spent time reading it, but it's definitely a one-time read for me. However, when a friend lists this book as a favorite, I'll have a bit of insight into that friend's personality.

Now I have to decide whether or not to keep the book for the children to read eventually, or give it away and count on being able to get it from the library for them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home