Friday, February 08, 2008

Lenten Bible reading

Several years ago Sora wrote about reading through the Bible for Lent. It sounded so good, I decided to do it myself last year. Unfortunately, I didn't record what I did to use as a pattern or schedule to use if I wanted to do it again.

My yearly read-through-the-Bible plan is to read at least 3 or more chapters a day, cross-referencing, and exploring topics as often as I like. But to read through my Bible in 40 days requires a bit more discipline.

This year I made a plan and wrote it down in a notebook (which I hope I won't misplace before next year!). I'm reading about 30 minutes to an hour each day, and I can record a few thoughts or verses from each day's reading in a notebook.

On Wednesday I read Genesis. On Thursday I read Exodus. Today I read Leviticus and Numbers. Tomorrow I read Deuteronomy. For large books I read one a day. (I may take two days for Psalms.) I'll read 5 or 6 smaller books a day. Last year if I felt like reading more than was on my "schedule" then I read more, and I plan to do the same this year.

One thing that amazed me last year was how once I'd begun reading I didn't want to stop. Reading the Word was both comforting and exciting at the same time. And history and prophecy were both more startling and clear at a gallop than they were at my usual walking pace of annual Bible-reading.

Jesus Christ said, "It is written 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.' " (Matthew 4:4) Reading through the Bible each year is daily bread, but this Lenten reading is a feast!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

This is a lofty goal....I'm a 3 chapt a day gal and not always so good at that. But I keep at it :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I don't think I read fast enough to get through the Bible that quickly, but I do read some every day.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Dy said...

You know, Deuteronomy is actually one of my favorite books of the Bible. I don't think it's b/c it's very different, but b/c it's one I took the time to read thoroughly, making notes and really thinking on what it said. You know what it said? It said, "I am the Lord your God, and I LOVE YOU." 176 times, I think it is, that God says, "I love you" in the book of Deut. Wow. That left such an impression on me.

Philemon is another that had that same impact on me, and for the same reasons.

It's truly humbling and uplifting to realize just how MUCH of what we need to know, to hear, to internalize is all. right. there. In a gift God gave to us.

Enjoy your reading!
Dy

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home