Friday, March 20, 2009

I Meant to Do my Work Today


This is just as true for 48-year-old mothers as it is for 7-year-old sons.



I Meant to Do My Work Today

I meant to do my work today---
But a brown bird sang in the apple-tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.

And the wind went sighing over the land,
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand---
So what could I do but laugh and go?

~Richard Le Gallienne



It's from Sam's current favorite book of poems:

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna Boucher said...

That's my kind of poetry!!!

Thank you for sharing it!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

Love.it!!

Spring fever is catching :)

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are reading that very book! And I either read that particular poem aloud, or to myself...I can't remember...but I liked it! *Ü*
Love,
Beth

8:50 PM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I love this!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home