Friday, January 29, 2010

U is for Undertow


I have been waiting for Sue Grafton's latest book, U is for Undertow, for two years.

When Ms. Grafton first began her Kinsey Milhone series (back in the early 1980s?) she wrote a book a year - or faster. Then she slowed down. Way down. Now I'm afraid I won't live to see "Z."

I've enjoyed seeing Kinsey's character mellow and mature a bit over the years. And I think the subject matter for each book has gotten more complex over the years, too. I still find it refreshing to read a book set in the '80's with no personal computers, no internet, no debit cards, no GPS, and (would that I were there again) no cell-phones.

This most recent book in the series deals with family relationships - both those of Kinsey and those of her client. Along with untangling the family mysteries, Kinsey tries to solve a decades-old kidnapping case involving a young child.

Of course, in the end she does solve the case (that's what makes Grafton's books so perfect for a weekend read - no ambiguous endings) and, having found another piece of the puzzle that is her personal history, is a little closer to being at peace with her extended family.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

Is it important to read these Graftons in alphabetical order?

5:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't think so - the first one I read was D is for Deadbeat, and I didn't even know there were others at that time. The character has changed some over the years, but Grafton is pretty good at focusing on the case and Kinsey's story is more of a background theme that, while interesting, isn't necessary to remember or know in order to enjoy the current mystery.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Framed said...

I haven't even read "T" so I'm seriously behind. Wonder if I'll ever get caught up.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw on Library things website that you own Now that You Are 8 by Sydney Taylor. Can you tell me what it's about? I am looking for a book from my childhood.
I am also a HUGE fan of Sue Grafton and the mysteries. My stepdaughter went to dinner at Sue Grafton's home in Santa Barbara!
thanks Meredith McD

11:12 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I used to read these years ago, but only made my way up through L is for whatever it was. I'm so obsessive, if I wanted to start up again, I would have to go all the way back to A is for Alibi. lol

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home