Monday, July 10, 2006

About the Aran...

I'm really NOT trying to procrastinate on this, but look at this yarn, the pattern, and the swatch:

Doesn't that look quite dark to you? It's a heathery tan, but I'm afraid I'll lose any stitch definition with it, and Dad wanted something he could wear with both browns and blues.


Dad told me earlier that he liked the traditional Aran cream, too, so I'm thinking I should rush off an order for Galway worsted yarn in color #1 (cream) and do it in that instead of the current color, "heathered oatmeal."

Am I just putting off the inevitable, or am I worrying for the right reasons? I believe that Dad should love his cardigan, and get the maximum usage from it, and I should love knitting this garment that will take several months to knit. What do you think?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the otmeal, but you may be right about the stitch definition. I would knit a rectangle that includes the main cable pattern and see what that looks like. Give that a try before you buy more yarn...The neutral tan color is really nice...and cream shows every spot there is! Praying for Tom and looking forward to a visit with Steve tonight. Lots of love, Meg

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jennie C. said...

I like the color, too, but I can't tell what part of the pattern that's supposed to be. It isn't the big cable, is it? I'm thinking not, in which case, it should be fine.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmmm. You could be right about the cream showing spots and dirt. Maybe I'll just start the back and see how it looks.

Thanks for praying for Tom. We know he arrived safely because Steve did the big no-no and called the school. Hope y'all have a good time tonight - he's been looking forward to seeing y'all!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

No, Jennie, the swatch was done in moss stitch, which isn't a very large part of the sweater at all. Seems silly to measure the stitches in that pattern, but that's what the directions called for.

I'll start the back, post a picture, and see what you think. I'd hate for the fancy stitches to disappear in the color of the yarn.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home