Monday, June 18, 2007

KnitChickLit




I recently read Ann Hood's novel, The Knitting Circle, and The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. While I enjoyed both books, I don't know if I'd ever re-read them.

Unlike the knitting mysteries I've enjoyed, these novels avoided any light-hearted frothiness. They don't contain much happiness or contentment, either, just a grim determination to get through this life. In both books, women face difficult times in their lives - deaths of loved ones, dire illnesses, divorce, etc. - look for some kind of salvation, and find knitting as their savior.

I do enjoy knitting. I have even found knitting to be helpful in certain stressful situations. But it's not my god, and it has never given me even a fraction of the peace and contentment that praying to God has done.

For more satisfactory knitting reads, I think I prefer histories of knitting or books of knitting patterns.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I thought the Friday Night Knitting Club was so poorly written, I couldn't read more than a page or two.

The knitting talk seemed forced.
One clique after another.
ick.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You said it, Donna! And do people in doomed relationships really live with an aggrieved air about them all the time? Are they really so awful at communicating with their former loved one?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I guess I'll leave FNKC on my shelf... or donate it to the library.

I tend to like pleasant books and movies myself (after all, I'm reading/watching to relax right?)

I must say... I'm loving The Brothers Karamazov! I may even finish it someday!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I thought you liked the Friday Night Knitting Club...isn't that the one you left here with Penny and she is passing on to me?

7:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, Meg - I enjoyed it as a one-time read, and I think you'll enjoy it as that. I told Penny that it surprised me - I *did* enjoy being surprised. I think you'll find though, that the feminist strain running through it is grim. But I'm not sorry to have read it (unlike The Birth House).

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home