Monday, January 07, 2008

I Am the Messenger



After reading The Book Thief and thinking it one of the best books I'd read last year, I had high hopes for Markus Zusak's book, I Am the Messenger.

It was very different, and I guess that's why I was disappointed. I did read it to the end thinking the mysteries would be solved and I'd learn "who" and "why," but ultimately it's a novel about the importance of good self-esteem. (Blech!) I'll probably pass on trying any more of Zusak's books for a while.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Hey, Laura. I decided to check out your blog after the pastor commented on the list of books you read during 2007. May I suggest "Knit Together" by Debbie Macomber. It is a wonderful read. (I finished it in 3 sittings.) She compares her love for knitting to how God has patterned who we are and our interests in order to further His kingdom. You should check it out. Maria

6:51 PM  
Blogger Framed said...

Like you, I loved"the Book Thief"; so I didn't expect as much from "The Messenger." And I actually liked it. I thought it was more about becoming less self-absorbed and more service-oriented. Sorry you didn't car for it. I haven't read any of his other books, so I can't give you any advice on them.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My daughter really enjoyed I Am the Messenger also, and encouraged me to read it through. I agree that Ed became less self-absorbed and served those around him, even when it was painful, and I liked that aspect of the book, but everything that led up to it was never explained, and the self-esteem stuff bugged me.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home