Monday, March 03, 2008

7 things - for Julie

Julie tagged me to list seven weird or random things, so here are seven weird or random book-related things about me:

1. When I read a book, I read it all - preface, acknowledgements, introductions, publication information, etc.

2. When I was 12 my father asked me to keep a list of the books I read and write a brief summary of each on a 3x5 index card. He had me do it for two years because he didn't believe I was reading all the books I checked out of the library, and I was constantly bugging him to take me back to the library for more books.

3. Since then I've continued to keep a list of the books I read - pretty faithfully. There are occasional gaps, and at some point in a military move I lost the little index file box that contained the first few years of my book listing habit, but I still have the notebooks containing the lists of books read from 1979 until the present.

4. I hope as my children marry and move away they will raid my library of their favorite books and take those volumes with them.

5. In my life I've only had four friends who think a fun time is to sit in the same room with another reading friend and silently read for hours.

6. I've bought duplicate copies of old books with pretty illustrations thinking I would cut out those illustrations, frame them and use them as artwork on the walls of my home, but when it came down to it I couldn't bear to destroy the books. So I gave them away to other readers.

7. Beth sent me a picture of this library in a staircase and I'm wondering how hard it would be to tear into the walls of our staircase and put in a few shelves?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I like #2. I bet your dad was surprised to find out you really were reading all those books.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I enjoyed reading your list... especially #5. I'd do that with you! I remember sitting in a car with a friend one day in between basketball games (our sons'). She read to me while I knit. It was wonderful!

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home