Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Unfinished business


This is a little tablecloth I began making for my mother to give her on Mother's Day - Mother's Day 2003. I took about three days to baste the fabric, then completed one design square each day after that. (Each square is a pattern from Victoria Sampler- the Beyond Cross Stitch series by Thea Dueck.) Since I began it in March, I had plenty of time to finish it.


But one day I put it down and worked on something else. A week went by. Then another week. Mother's Day came and went. And somehow I just forgot to get it out and finish it. When I did pull it out to work on it, I realized I could no longer see very well to do the delicate work required in each pattern.

Last weekend I looked at it again and decided I had to finish it, no matter what. I only have 4 squares left undone.


Working slowly and carefully I thought I could finish it in about two weeks, then pull out the basting threads and hem it and finally give it to Mom.

However... when I was getting rid of all my needlework supplies I didn't think to keep any metallic thread and wouldn't you know, I need just enough to make 4 little Algerian eyes in each remaining square. So now I'm stuck again while I wait for the thread to be shipped to me.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Yes, you really must finish it. It's beautiful!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks! But tedious - knitting is so much faster!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I love it! But then I'm a sucker for anything blue & white. :-)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

I would have to have a goose-necked lamp with magnifying glass in order to complete fine needlework.... like a petit-point pillow I started decades ago!

Very lovely design!

6:18 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Laura...that is beautiful. SHow the finished product when you are done! Gorgeous!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

It's just gorgeous Laura! I used to cross stitch a lot. But I would do the same thing... one day I would set it down and never pick it up again.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is absolutely beautiful! I'm glad you're finishing it - I'm sure your Mom will love it.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home