This is a little tablecloth I began making for my mother to give her on Mother's Day - Mother's Day 2003. I took about three days to baste the fabric, then completed one design square each day after that. (Each square is a pattern from Victoria Sampler- the Beyond Cross Stitch series by Thea Dueck.) Since I began it in March, I had plenty of time to finish it.
But one day I put it down and worked on something else. A week went by. Then another week. Mother's Day came and went. And somehow I just forgot to get it out and finish it. When I did pull it out to work on it, I realized I could no longer see very well to do the delicate work required in each pattern.
Last weekend I looked at it again and decided I had to finish it, no matter what. I only have 4 squares left undone.
Working slowly and carefully I thought I could finish it in about two weeks, then pull out the basting threads and hem it and finally give it to Mom.
However... when I was getting rid of all my needlework supplies I didn't think to keep any metallic thread and wouldn't you know, I need just enough to make 4 little Algerian eyes in each remaining square. So now I'm stuck again while I wait for the thread to be shipped to me.