Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Caps and scarves

For the last few weeks I've been knitting scarves and caps for a few friends who requested them. I haven't made caps or scarves for quite some time and it was fun to knit them again.

Two scarves and one cap have already been given to their new owners, but I was able to get David and Marley to model the remaining three caps and one scarf before I ship them off.


Here is one of the "Beginner Scarves" by Alison Hansel. This is the Simple Ribbed Scarf made with Encore worsted weight yarn and size 7 needles over 38 stitches.

The cap is also Encore worsted weight yarn and it is the "Ribbed Cap" from One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant.




For this cap I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky and size 10.5 needles. I cast on 76 or 78 stitches and worked in rib stitch for about 2 1/2 inches, then switched to stockinette stitch until the cap measured 7 inches in length. At that point I decreased 8 stitches every other row for three rows, then decreased every row until I had 8 stitches, ran the yarn through the remaining stitches and wove in the end.




I used the Lion Brand Chemo Cap pattern to make this cap for a friend in North Carolina. I followed the pattern exactly, using Lion Brand Fun Fur and Lion Brand Microspun held together on size 13 needles.

I have one more cap in progress, and one more scarf in mind, then I think it will be time to get back to Sarah's blanket and cardigan... .

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Read said...

Those look nice! I like using Lion Brand Yarn. I'm planning on writing an article on knitting for The Girlhood Home Companion magazine that I write for.

I recently knitted a small purse and next I'll start on some slippers from a pattern Mrs. Lee (our knitting teacher) gave us.

~Amanda~

12:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's wonderful, Amanda! Is the magazine online?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Nice gifts, all of them! I'm working on one of Alison's beginner scarves, too.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Very nice!

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home