Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski was one of the books on my reading list for this year. I bought the book when it was first published, but hesitated to read it because of reviews I'd read and remarks by friends who had read it. Thankfully, no one spoiled the story for me, but having heard that it was a "disturbing" book, I decided to wait until I felt very cheerful to read it.

I should not have worried. It is a well-written, interesting story-- one that was hard to put down. I won't give away the plot, and I'd recommend to anyone else that you don't read the dust-jacket or any summaries in order to fully enjoy the book.

My overwhelming thoughts after finishing reading it were that bitterness, selfishness, and a need for revenge can destroy any chance of contentment and happiness in the life of an individual. Kindness and goodness may not bring material rewards, but they still are what makes a life that matters both to an individual and to others.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

Sitting in my TBR stack.... I will persevere. It may be years, but someday this one will fit into the schedule.

Glad there were no *spoilers* in your review.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home