Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Help


There was so much hype about The Help for so long and in so many places that I thought it couldn't possibly live up to all that was said about it.

But a several women in the book club and a friend (who reads a lot and reads good books) recommended it. So I put my name on the request list at the library.

And I waited.

Earlier this week my turn for the book arrived and I started reading it. The story was good! I found myself carrying the book around with me so I could read it whenever a had a free minute. I even read it in the car (while Steve was driving) - and I rarely read in the car.

Kathryn Stockett has written a very good book - her first novel - and I'm glad I read it. It did live up to all the hype.

(Dana read and reviewed The Help. Her review tells more about the content of the book, and she compares the characters and the story to her own experiences. )

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

I enjoyed it as well.

HEre's a link to my review.

http://hiddenart.xanga.com/704283033/the-help/

11:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Dana! I remember enjoying your review - and I edited my post and added the link to your review!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I really enjoyed this book. Like you I carried it around reading it whenever I could grab a free moment. To me so much of the beauty of the book was in how perfectly spot-on Ms. Stockett nailed the culture of the Deep South. And her character development was pretty amazing too. It's definitely re-readable.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

Sweet of you to link to me, Laura. I just wanted to share my excitment over the book as well.

I havent had any interest in going to book signings and she's had several in the metro area. But I didnt go to Ree's (Pioneer Woman) either. I"m just not a groupie.

That said, I am following Stockett in the news, reading articles as I run across them. The most recent is in April/May issue of Garden and Gun. Apparently The Help manuscript was rejected 45 times BEFORE some agent finally accepted it.

At any rate, the real test for Stockett will be how successful her second novel will be. It's about Mississippi women tyring to survive during the Depression.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I really enjoyed this book, too. It's a good thing because I think our book club is reading this in the future so I get to read it again. :) I would love to read more about the Civil Rights Movement.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I guess I am going to have to add this to my TBR list. I've read so many reviews--I don't know why I didn't understand it was a novel about the South. I thought it was like a Prayer of Jabez-like novel for some reason!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Janet said...

I enjoyed this one very much too. I thought it was an amazing first novel!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Janie said...

I read this last year and didn't want to put it down. It was rather reminiscent of my growing-up days because we had "help." And then later, I lived in Jackson, MS for three years, followed by ten more in a town south of there. So much came back to mind! Those streets in Jackson--I remember them well. I look forward to more books for Stockett.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home