Monday, August 16, 2010

Percolator bliss


Last week as Joan and I were looking for a small table at the thrift store, I found a small Corning coffee percolator. It holds 6 cups, and the inside and outside were so clean and scratch-free that I initially believed it had never been used. But the cord was missing. And without the cord, how can one use an electric percolator? So I put it back on the shelf.

As we were about to leave the store (without finding a suitable table), I changed my mind and bought the percolator. It was only $3 and I reasoned that at that price it would be worthwhile to look for a cord, and if my search brought no results I'd just donate the percolator back to the thrift store.

As soon as we arrived home I went online and immediately found a replacement cord - never used and still in the original box - for $10. In a couple of days the cord arrived and the pot perks the most delicious coffee. And it's half the size of our other percolator, which makes it just right for coffee for one or two!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Joansie said...

Laura, I don't mean to disappoint you but for your safety I must direct you to

http://recalls.justia.com/household-and-office/coffeemakers-coffeepots-teapots-kettles/79-046/

You see, I had one of those and stopped using it way back then for this reason. Google for more articles.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Joansie! I did look up the recall before I ordered the cord and decided the risk was worth it. And I am VERY CAREFUL when I use the percolator, and do not allow my children to handle it (but I don't allow them to handle the newer metal one, either).

You're right - it's good to know the hazards that might jeopardize safety.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Love that percolator. You've reminded me of the one I had when I first set up home on my own. Sadly it got knocked to the floor and smashed and I'd forgotten I missed it til I saw yours.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Neat find!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Perfection! I love it when the stars align. Happy sipping.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Becks said...

Lovely to find something you're not expecting at the charity shop. (Charity shop being our version of a thrift store I think?)
Fab bargain.
x

3:23 PM  
Blogger do you mind if i knit said...

Oh joy! It's the ordinary things in life that sometimes become extraordinary, that make life wonderful, don't you think? What a cool coffee percolator! Love Vanessa xxx

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Halima said...

Great find! I see those rarely around here but they are always priced too high ($15-$20). I really like the 'feel' something vintage adds to a home, makes it very special.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home