Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mother/Daughter Lone Star Quilt

From 1973 through 1974 my mother cut (with scissors, not a rotary blade) and sewed (by hand, not with her sewing machine) all these diamonds to make a Lone Star quilt to match my pink and red bedroom.  I was 12. 

Her original plan was to piece the large star, then applique it to a large piece of background fabric, but she couldn't figure out how to do it.  So she set the star aside.  A few years ago she found the star, and gave it to me so I could finish the quilt.  This March I pulled it out and got to work.  I decided to square out the star with aqua fabric instead of trying to applique such a large piece.  Then I found one of the original pink fabrics used and cut it to frame the star.  A second blue frame was added to make the quilt large enough for a queen-size bed.  I used a second aqua material as binding, and made the back from a material with a paisley pattern (I love paisley!) in reds, pinks, aquas, and blues. I hand-quilted with red cotton thread.

This quilt was forty years in the making and I'm so happy to have it, and thankful my mother can see the finished product of her hard work.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Amazing work, both of you!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Margo said...

this is a gorgeous quilt - and its story is so special. Love that it can be used and loved in its completion now.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home