Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A wreath for a knitter

Someone posted a picture on Facebook of a wreath made with balls of yarn and knitting needles.  I asked Jacy and Joan if they would make one for me if I supplied the materials.  Yesterday afternoon Joan went out with a list and this morning I have a new wreath on my door!

We looked at the website with the original picture, but couldn't find instructions.  Still, it was easy to figure out a way to make it, although the wreath that was our inspiration may have been put together differently.

Supplies for my wreath:
 * 1 wire wreath frame
 * 3 packs of styrofoam balls in 3 different sizes
 * florist's wire
 * yarn in various colors, gauges, fibers
 * 1 pair of large (mine are size US 13) and long aluminum knitting needles
 * Modge Podge, if desired (we ended up not using it)

I showed Joan how to wrap the yarn around the styrofoam balls, as if she were using a nostepinne.  We thought about spraying the finished yarn-balls with Modge Podge, but Joan just tucked the yarn-end under the wrapped yarn, then slipped florist's wire under a few strands of yarn and wired them to the wreath frame.  Finally she stuck the needles under the yarn on several balls and it was done!


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger sojourner2earth said...

This is adorable! I love using 'found' items for decorations and this is wonderful! Warm and welcoming! Thanks for sharing!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home