Saturday, June 10, 2006

Walking tour

This morning Tom and I went on the "Walking Tour" of our little town. We and several other people met the tour guide on the courthouse steps. He told us that the walking tour is a state-wide endeavor by the state historical society this spring and early summer.


This house was built in the 1830's. Jefferson Davis used the balcony to give a speech urging secession from the Union. The huge tree in front of it is a ginkgo tree - the largest I've ever seen.

Steve has admired this house for decades. He used to dream of buying it, but I think the family that bought it a few years ago have done a magnificent job restoring it and I'm glad they have it.

They have this lovely iron fence around the yard. (There's even a beautiful gate set at an angle in the corner of the front yard, but I didn't get a picture of it.)

I walk by this house when I go to City Hall to pay my bills. I never see anyone outside, but the grounds are always well-kept.

The house next-door has an iron fence that was imported from France.


I learned a little history I didn't know about our new home-town. I also met two very kind ladies who promised to call and come to my house to knit sometime.

It was a pleasant way to spend a Saturday morning.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeannine said...

What beautiful homes! I don't think I'd see anything half so ground if I did a walking tour of my town. :-)

That's nice that you made some new knitting friends. I have fond memories of sitting outside knitting with my local friend, Carla, the summer Timothy was due.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home