Thursday, January 15, 2009

Murder in Miniature


Camille Minichino, who also writes as "Margaret Grace," very kindly sent me a copy of her book, Murder in Miniature.

It's a good cozy mystery, the first in a series featuring Gerry Porter, a 58-year-old widow and resident of Lincoln Point, California. Gerry's hobby is miniatures - both making and selling them. With the help of her sister-in-law Beverly, her nephew Chris (a police officer), and her granddaughter Maddie, Gerry solves two murders.

As I read I learned a lot about dollhouse miniatures that was interesting. Gerry doesn't usually work from kits to make her miniature furniture and accessories. Instead, she takes small items commonly used and makes candles, plates, drawer pulls, lampshades, picture frames, shower curtains, etc.

Even more fascinating was that I learned about Eichler homes. Gerry lives in an Eichler home and parts of it (especially the central atrium) are described fondly and in great detail. I had to put the book down and go research Eichler!

The mystery was good and complex enough to keep me guessing, and I loved learning about miniatures and Eichler.

I bought the second book in the series and the third will be out in February. I'm looking forward to reading both!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth F said...

This sounds really interesting. I like a good cozy mystery series. Thanks for the review. Did you see Cathy's review of The Dollhouse Murders (Kittling Books)? It's just interesting to me that there were two dollhouse mystery reviews this week!

6:22 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

This sounds good! I'm glad Beth pointed me in your direction!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Our book from Margaret Grace arrived last week. Thanks for the giveaway!

2:53 AM  
Blogger Susuhigh said...

I read this book a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. I also have book two and picked up the newest book in the series Malice in Miniature this week. I love a good series and there are so many out there right now.
I love reading your book reviews and have quite a few of the books on my TBR list.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home