Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Grace for Ice Cream


A Grace for Ice Cream

For water-ices, cheap but good,
That find us in a thirsty mood;
For ices made of milk or cream
That slip down smoothly as a dream;
For cornets, sandwiches and pies
That make the gastric juices rise;
For ices bought in little shops
Or at the kerb from him who stops;
For chanting of the sweet refrain:
"Vanilla, strawberry or plain?"
We thank Thee, Lord, who sendst with heat
This cold deliciousness to eat.

~ Allan M. Laing

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

Cant say that I've every said a blessing over an ice cream cone, but now I will.

Bruster's Chocolate Turtle in a Waffle cone is one of my favorites.

What about you?

7:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love vanilla! But a few days ago I savored every bite of two small scoops of Mayfield ice cream - one of "Birthday Cake" and the other of "Mint Chocolate Chip."

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home