Tuesday, January 16, 2007

It's the small things...

... that make life so pleasant and remind me of God's goodness.

When David was younger (maybe 5 or 6) he would say at the end of the day, "This was the best day of my life!" Then he would proceed to list everything that made the day great. All of the events were small, insignificant things, but they filled David's heart with so much thankfulness that he had to share his joy with his family. His recitation would go something like this: "Tom played cars with me; I saw the baby birds in the mailbox; we had bread and cheese for lunch; and Daddy let me go with him to put gas in the car. It was the BEST day EVER!" For about three years we enjoyed these daily exclamations of gratitude for little things, then he gradually stopped. I don't think he's stopped being thankful, but now that he's almost 12 he rarely tells us all about it.

Today has been a "small things" day, and I'm reminded that every day is really a "small things" day. Here are my small things that are making today "the BEST day EVER!"

1. Dad dropped by this morning on his way to Wal-Mart, and since I was also planning to go to Wal-Mart, I went with him. I got to go on an errand with my Daddy. Yeah, I'm 45 and he's 73, but it still feels special to do something with my father. On the way home, we stopped to get gas for the car and got a diet coke for me and a caramel cappuccino for him. It was a great treat for both of us.

2. Along with the food items I bought at Wal-Mart, I also picked up a few fun things and enjoyed my children's expressions of delight over those items as they unpacked the groceries. Jacy, Sarah, and Joan were happy about the red nail polish and the conditioner. David hugged me and said, "I LOVE you, Mommy!" when he saw that I'd bought tea bags for making iced tea. Sam and Marley were excited to see the bottle of bubble bath.

3. The temperature outside is dropping and it's cold enough for a fire in the fireplace. We brought in wood and are enjoying reading and doing schoolwork by the fire.

4. Tom called after he got out of his religion class. He wanted to tell me about his professor and let me know that he was on his way to his next class. This is his second day of classes, so I'm looking forward to hearing about his schedule.

5. I am preparing and serving supper to the high school girls' Bible study group tonight. I like what I'm making (pasties and salad) and am happy to provide a meal for the girls and their leaders.

6. Miss Ruth, an 80-something widow from our church, told me Sunday that she wants to come and help me with the supper tonight. Miss Ruth encourages and inspires with her quiet, kind ways and I always enjoy working together with her and never fail to come away refreshed.

7. Steve will be home tomorrow night - Yippee!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Sounds wonderful! And a good reminder to appreciate all those small things!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home