Monday, April 09, 2007

Knit One, Haiku Too

Knit One, Haiku Too by Maria Fire is a short memoir of her life as a knitter, interspersed with haiku. I enjoyed it (Thanks, Meg!) and will doubtless read it again from time to time.

Here's a snippet - Maria tells of her beloved grandfather, "Sugar - Sug for short," and time spent with him at his home in North Carolina when she was a child:

"Afternoons we spent hiking through the woods around Sug's house. I took short, quick steps to keep up with his long strides. In the evenings we sat on the porch and watched the sun set. At dark I switched on a lamp so I could knit, and I asked my grandfather to recite poetry. He knew long passages of classical poems by heart. Much I didn't understand, but his sonorous voice wrapped the night around us - and my busy fingers danced to the music of his words.

Warm words in night air
Pine smell and needles clacking
Oh, sweet obsessions! "

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary G said...

Laura,

This book sounds wonderful! I got word of your blog from an unschooling friend and I'm so glad she sent the link! You have great posts!

Happy Knitting!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Sounds like an interesting book. One I haven't heard of before. Thanks for sharing.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home