Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Jezebel Sauce


On the menu at a fancy restaurant we sometimes patronize is an item called "Jezebel Sauce." I've eaten it twice and loved it. It's sweet and hot, and has an impressive after-kick. A few weeks ago, while flipping through some of Mom's old cookbooks I found a recipe for it and decided I had to make it right away. Glenn and Aric were home, and I knew they'd eat it with me, but our supper that night was grilled chicken, which was probably not the best partner for the sauce. We ate it anyway. Lots of it. It was just as delicious as I'd remembered. And it tasted good with chicken, although we all agreed it would probably pair better with beef or pork.


Jezebel Sauce
16 oz. jar of apple jelly
16 oz. jar of pineapple preserves
1 small can of dry mustard
1 jar of horseradish
2 Tbsp cracked black pepper

I halved the recipe, and we still had way too much for us to handle at one meal. But it keeps well in the refrigerator for several days.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Margo said...

what a great name and recipe! I will be trying that for sure. We have a great horseradish guy at market and I *just* found out over the weekend that he sells horseradish pickles on the sly.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Halima said...

That little bowl looks familiar, glad you're enjoying it! I have been amazed at how many pieces I've been seeing with this pattern lately. This sauce sounds so yummy, I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Yes, I love that little bowl, Halima!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home