Thursday, September 09, 2010

What we found under the ivy


Last Saturday Aric and Sam attacked some of the ivy that plagues our yard. Sam hacked at it with his machete and Aric raked away and they uncovered the low stone wall on the west side of the house. What we had thought was a stone or concrete stanchion at the end of the wall turned out to be:


An ornamental concrete planter. Why in the world would someone plant ivy in a planter? It took over and is so entrenched in the fabric of the concrete that the stump and roots are impossible to get out. It's too bad, because I would love to use it as a place for seasonal, annual blooming plants.


Any suggestions for poisoning unwanted ivy roots without permanently poisoning the container?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

burning?

What a fun find!

7:04 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Sorry, no good ideas here.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Burning might work... . Thanks, Dana!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Wow! What a treasure. I think I'd get a ceramic pot that's just big enough to fit inside the planter and put my annuals in the pot. You may have to put a brick or two on either side of the root to get a level bottom. Then I'd cross my fingers and hope the ivy doesn't grow again.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's a good idea, too, Christian. I might burn AND use another planter inside the big one.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jennie C. said...

If you wait for the leaves to grow back, you can spray round-up on them and it kills right through the roots. But you only poisoned the leaves, which are now dead, and when you pull out the dead plant, the poison is gone, too.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I thought about Round-Up, Jennie, but the roots are so firmly in the concrete that I don't think we could get them out. Still, it's something to try!

1:21 PM  
Blogger do you mind if i knit said...

Ivy is amazing isn't it, so powerful! I don't know if it would help to drill holes in the root to break it up, and slowly clear it out that way, rather than using chemicals. Hard work though. I like the colour of your cardi by-the-way, and I don't think we can have too many cardigans, no, never! The shawl is looking Beauuuuuutiful! Love Vanessa xxx

1:47 PM  
Blogger Margo said...

I would pour boiling water on it. that's what I do after I'm canning and have a big vat of it. I want to keep the ivy along our fence in check.

What a fun find in your back yard!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

vinegar? and round-up actually dissipates after 8 hours

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home