Monday, April 23, 2007

Doggie bed


I did decide to go ahead, be silly and foolish, and knit a bed for Cocoa. In my yarn stash were 18 skeins of Patons UpCountry in the "silvermist" color. Using the Kitty Bed pattern by Wendy as a basic reference, I cast on 9 stitches using size 15 double-pointed needles. Then I followed the kitty bed instructions, and kept on going. Now I have 288 stitches on size 15 Denise needles, using 4 cable lengths. I'm knitting 48 rows of 288 sts., then will work a welt ridge before knitting up the side. I have approximately 38 rows to go before the welt, and I have 11 skeins of yarn left. Hopefully, my yarn will hold out. After I finish, I'll go to the local laundrymat and use a gigantic washing machine to felt the bed.
LL Bean has a lovely dog bed for large dogs and its diameter is 52 inches. So if my knitted and felted bed doesn't come out right, I have a replacement option already picked out.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura~
This is so neat! I can't wait to see the dog bed!
We bought the rectangular dog bed by L. L. Bean, and have been very happy with it. We bought an extra cover, which has been wonderful for those little "accidents". I think we got the medium size for both the dachshunds, and will have to get another one for the golden retriever.
Glad Cocoa is better!

Love,
Beth

12:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Beth! The children took Cocoa to the lake today and she ran and swam, and dug holes in the sand - back to normal.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home